travel logistics map & drive-in details
ROUTE: 1. Livingstone – 2. Dundumwezi Gate – 3. Nanzhila Plains – 4. Lake Camp – 5. Musa Gate – 6. Lusaka
From Livingstone take the T1 towards Lusaka. Proceed for 124kms to Kalomo. It is recommended that you fuel up here. Continue towards Lusaka for 400m to a junction. Turn left. Continue down this road which changes to gravel, past the market to a T-junction. Turn right and immediately left over the railway line, over a river and up the hill to a junction. Turn left and proceed down this gravel road for 70kms until you reach Dundumwezi Gate.
TOTAL DRIVING DISTANCE from Livingstone to Dundumwezi park gate is 2.5 – 3 hrs (200kms)
1. After passing through Dumdumwezi Gate continue up the new road that follows the eastern boundary
2. Travel for 25kms in a northerly direction from the gate (Best to zero your odometer at the gate).
3. Turn left onto a bush track. It is signposted with a sign saying “Nanzhila 36kms”.
4. Proceed 4.5kms down bush track and turn right (heading north) onto another bush track and proceed for a further 23kms through mopane woodland and the Plains.
5. At the second concrete bollard turn left. It is signposted saying “Nanzhila 7kms”.
6) Proceed for 2.5kms to a crossroads. Continue straight for 4.5kms to camp.
**The route via Hornbill (67kms along the eastern boundary road from Dundumwezi) is still an option.
From the Lumumba road in the Lusaka CBD take the Great West Road (M9) towards Mongu. 151kms from Lusaka you reach the Mumbwa turn-off. It is recommended that a short detour be made into Mumbwa to fuel up. From the Mumbwa turn-off continue a further 66kms to the junction of the Itezhi-Tezhi road (S14°58’17” E26°27’05”) where you turn left. Proceed for about 50kms and you will reach Mweengwa DNPW check point (S15°16’33” E26°14’57”). Continue for another approximately 66kms along the same gravel road until you reach the town of Itezhi-Tezhi. Pass through Itezhi-tezhi and proceed for 25kms over the dam wall, past Musungwa Lodge and through Musa Gate to Ngoma. From Ngoma AMU (DNPW Regional Headquarters) continue south passing Ngoma airstrip after 6.5kms on your right hand side. After a further 5.5kms you come to the junction with the cordon road. Turn right here. After another 3kms you will come to a bush track on the right hand side. The signboard says “Nanzhila 40kms”. Turn right here. Proceed down this bush track for 24kms until you reach Kalenje Scouts Post. Turn right here. After a couple of kms the road turns left in a southerly direction following the Nanzhila River on your left hand side. After about 11.5kms you reach a small crossroads. Turn right here and camp is 4.5kms further.
Ngoma air-strip is a 90 minute/48km game drive from Nanzhila
bookings & enquiries
To enquire about accommodation* at Nanzhila, please use the form below:
*Please note that there is no campsite facility at Nanzhila.